What To Do When Life Throws You a Curve Ball
By Michelle Cote
6. Keep or Find Your Sense of Humor
Laughter and a sense of humor can combat stress, relieve tension, and provide a diversion in the midst of trial and suffering. Proverbs 17:22 says, “A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.”
This is why cancer patients are encouraged to watch funny movies and to think on positive things.
According to an article by the Mayo Clinic, laughter can induce the following physical changes in your body:
• Enhances your intake of oxygen rich air, stimulating your heart, lungs, and muscles. It also increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
• Activates and relieves your stress response resulting in a good, relaxed feeling.
• Stimulates circulation and aids muscle relaxation.
• Improves your immune system to help fight illness.
• Eases pain by causing the body to release its own painkillers.
• Increases your ability to cope with difficult circumstances.
• Lessens depression and anxiety and improves your mood.
Wow! That’s quite a list!
During the Corona virus crisis, it has been such a joy to see people posting funny articles, pictures, games, etc. We all need a good laugh in the midst of the fear and anxiety that is circulating.
We also need to be able to laugh at ourselves and not take everything so seriously. I tend to be a realist and more serious, so I am really working on this! I’ve been trying to make a homemade sourdough starter and have had to throw away the finished bread product 2X in the last 2 weeks! The first time, I didn’t have my glasses on and where it said to put 2 teaspoons of salt, I read it as 2 tablespoons! That was one salty bread! And just yesterday, I baked a bread that didn’t rise properly(I think my starter needs to activate more). The resulting bread felt like a ton of bricks and reminded me of an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies when Ellie May made bread! Lol! I’m a good baker and a recovering perfectionist, but I have to laugh at myself and keep trying.
My prayer is that you too will find moments of levity in your life; watch a funny movie, play a game, put up a funny post, tell or read some jokes. Let’s spread some joy and laughter!